How to Set up Parental Controls on your Samsung Phone
Samsung Geeks | On 30, Jul 2016
Want to know how to set up parental controls on your Samsung phone? Let’s face it – the internet is a terrifying place, and for every positive influence and progressive resource that it offers us access to, countless dangerous sites are now just a click away too. When you’re looking out for the developmental welfare of a child, the internet, and exactly where they could end up on it, is all the more terrifying. So what can be done to protect your children when they have access to a Samsung device, and the world weird web?
What Parental Controls are on offer for Samsung devices?
Samsung obviously thought long and hard about the parental controls they worked into their Galaxy phones, and have provided parents an entire menu of options to consider when keeping their sprogs safe and sound. The menu provides access to a selection of controls and settings:
- Kids Profile – the hub from which children’s profiles can be edited and controlled
- Activity – track the websites visited and the duration of children’s online activity
- Applications – control, add and remove applications
- Daily Playtime Limit – set time limits on children’s playtime; the control issues notifications to users when allotted time is coming to an end
- General – change settings, PINs and reset profiles
- Media – add, remove and enjoy music and video files
- Kids Store – browse and download from a wide variety of specific child-friendly apps
How to Set up Parental Controls on your Samsung Phone Step by Step
The customisation of your Parental Control settings is very easy to do, and the menu of options means you can pick and mix whichever features suit your needs best. When looking to set up the parental controls on your Samsung phone, start from the Home screen.
- Tap the Apps icon to open the applications menu
- Tap the Kids Mode icon, which is illustrated with an alligator
- Tap the Parental Control icon, which is illustrated with a parent and child holding hands
- Enter a PIN code when prompted
- Once the PIN has been confirmed, the Activity page will be displayed, from where you can monitor and explore the internet activity of your children.
Ensure that all parents and/or guardians are informed of the PIN, and that it is kept private. It is also advisable to change the PIN regularly, and to avoid selecting a PIN that may be easily figured out by your young net-surfers, such as birth dates or classics like 0000 or 1234.
Once you’ve set up your Parental Controls on your Samsung phone, make sure you visit the Kids Profile regularly and stay up to date on your children’s online activity. Of course, no technology is completely watertight, and children are in the habit of finding ways around such controls put in place by parents, so don’t consider setting Parental Controls the job done. You should always closely monitor the internet activity of children, and take further steps to ensure their safety.